• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

So, what do we want with this server?

Guarnere

Hey guys,

It's been a while since we've been attempting to revive this server to something useful. It worked out pretty well, but unfortunately it did not last. So my question is: what do we want with this server?

COD2 is not dead. There are still quite a few servers out there with people. The question is what do we want our server to become. Are we just going to let it sit and die here, or are we going to implement changes to make it more appealing? Do we need to include more mods, maps etc.? Is there room for a second server where we can experiment with?

I hate to say this, but the current way of implementing server changes is very slow, and I'm the only member of the section left. I'd have to contact an admin, wait for maps or mods to be uploaded etc., there's just no control and no fun left in it to be honest.

Guarnere

Warnaar80[NL]

Dodo
Senior Admin
Donator
Honestly, nothing wil work. Yes, for a couple of weeks it all seems to work, server is half full again, and then players will leave again. Happens every time in the past 4 years. If we don't have a steady number of members that actually play, it wont work. In the past we had +/- 30 cod2 members.... And Cod2 isn't dead, but dying.

[jc]VanDamme

Banrighted
Banrighted
Honestly, nothing wil work. Yes, for a couple of weeks it all seems to work, server is half full again, and then players will leave again. Happens every time in the past 4 years. If we don't have a steady number of members that actually play, it wont work. In the past we had +/- 30 cod2 members.... And Cod2 isn't dead, but dying.
I agree, so maybe just have everyone join for a session once a month perhaps?

OTe

WaW Section
Game Admin
Donator
Perhaps we could try the eXtreme mod, we will not lose anything. These servers are still quite popular.

Guarnere

Perhaps we could try the eXtreme mod, we will not lose anything. These servers are still quite popular.
I have been thinking about that too. Then again, making server changes is slow in my opinion, judging from how it went last time. Sure you can implement it, but making additional adjustments always takes too much time in my opinion, and before you know it people are gone and the server is left as it is. The additional problem is then the lack of motivation to keep the server running and to make additional adjustments.

Just my two cents again. I envision a more active role for the admins in this, otherwise this server is becoming useless.

Hybrid

#4iS, 4.5 inches on good days.
Warteam Member
I have seen popular sniper only servers.

I dont really think that the "just for fun" mentality workd on a game of this age. There are no more new players to the game. Better focus on skill than casual gameplay.

Ardens

Arma Guy
Senior Admin
Truth is, you can’t attract new players when there aren’t any to begin with. No, the game isn’t entirely dead, but is nearly fazed out. That’s the way things go. It’s the circle of life in the video game world. Servers that still have somewhat of a player base consist of diehard regulars who won’t give the game up. The majority of servers that remain empty, like ours, are nothing more than a memento in my opinion.

I’m not discouraging anyone from making attempts to bring the server into the limelight, but note that community support may not be as strong as it was in past attempts. I feel like many have moved on from this nostalgic ‘era’, including myself. I’ll forever love the game, but I’ve got other priorities and hobbies that are more important now.

Guarnere

Truth is, you can’t attract new players when there aren’t any to begin with. No, the game isn’t entirely dead, but is nearly fazed out. That’s the way things go. It’s the circle of life in the video game world. Servers that still have somewhat of a player base consist of diehard regulars who won’t give the game up. The majority of servers that remain empty, like ours, are nothing more than a memento in my opinion.

I’m not discouraging anyone from making attempts to bring the server into the limelight, but note that community support may not be as strong as it was in past attempts. I feel like many have moved on from this nostalgic ‘era’, including myself. I’ll forever love the game, but I’ve got other priorities and hobbies that are more important now.
True, I feel the same way and love exploring other games nowadays, but why then keep this server running and JFF COD2 community running? To me that's sort of a sign we still want to keep that nostalgia, same counts for the COD1 server, but then again we don't actually exploit it in any way because we know it will not work out because of the small community that is left.

The only thing that could work out, like what VanDamme said, if we organize a COD2 night every now and again, not on a fixed schedule, but just for fun at a random moment one or two times a month. In that case we can still put use to the server and experience the COD2 nostalgia every once in a while. However, I do think someone needs to take the lead in this and should be able to make server changes and add a few custom maps here and there to keep it interesting.