1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux (Ubuntu) - Please Help

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by CmD, Jul 16, 2017.

1. CmD

CmD Irren ist menschlich. Banrighted Donator

Okay, so I recently decided to convert some of my busted old laptops to ubuntu, to make them to a personal server/get them working again as just gathering up dust.

All I want, it to convert my laptop 100% to a pc that is running ONLY ubuntu. Used to have vista, but thats slow, lots of junk etc and half the keys don't work. Time for a clean install. After some ballache, managed to get this lil trashy laptop working with Ubuntu using a 2gb usb to install it. The basic OS is installed, and is loading up.

However,
    it seems like the whole pc is not being used for the OS, and its like only a partition of the HDD is being used to support the OS. As you can see below, there is only access to 5GB of data,
    [​IMG]

I have almost 0 knowledge of Ubuntu, so if anyone knows how to make sure that the whole laptop is now using the entirety of the HDD for the OS and user storage, or how to clean install to make sure it is 100% clean and smooth, that'd be greatly appreciated.

Also, issue 2 is with wireless connections. I'd like the laptop to connect via wireless to the wifi, however it doesn't connect. It tries to, but doesn't want to work. I followed some online instructions to change some settings and code via terminal, but that didn't make a difference.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I will point out that the saving grace is that it DOES work via ethernet, so I can update etc, however wireless would be so much more simple due to location, effort etc so any help with that as well would be appreciated.

Anyone got free time to help me out? Google only goes so far.. xD

__Aboody__ likes this.
  2. KonZone

KonZone Kickrighted Kickrighted Warteam Member

I guess you want to resize your boot partition. If you don't have another partition after it you could try using gparted from a usb boot.

As for the wifi I have no idea.

3. Thunder

Thunder Community Leader Community Leader Donator

For the wireless issue check /var/log/messages. That probaly outputs some error.

KonZone likes this.
  4. CmD

CmD Irren ist menschlich. Banrighted Donator

Sorry for late reply, only just got free time to do anything with the laptop.

@KonZone Gparted worked like a charm, thanks! Now got 60GB to play with rather than 4.. xD

@Thunder checked a whole lotta logs, can't seem to find anything that would indicate an error involving wireless, tis a strange one. But also didn't find a 'messages' file in var/log/, but did root through all the files contained there. Still nothing :( Sad times

KonZone likes this.