1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FPS drop on COD4

Discussion in 'Call of duty' started by True.north, Apr 15, 2015.

1. True.north

True.north Member Member

Can someone help me on this one? I have a problem with FPS drop, and it only happenes on 2 maps! First one is Crossfire and the second on is Bog! I have around 250 fps normaly, but on these 2 maps it always drops to around 70! It is getting anoying! Did anyone have a same problem? All advice and solutions are much appreciated!

P.S. I use 2x Sapphire 4870 (Crossfire) if that helps

2. WarDog21

WarDog21 woofwoof

crossfire is big, bog has this fancy fire stuff.. do you have any problems on overgrown?

True.north likes this.
  3. Ardens

Ardens G-Rated Justice Senior Admin

Turn your water detail on low.

True.north likes this.
  4. True.north

True.north Member Member

No on overgrown there are no problems with FPS!

I have all "special efects" on low!

5. WarDog21

WarDog21 woofwoof

do you ever had this problem, or does it just appear? (driver problems)
    do you feel micro stuttering due to crossfire and bog? tried to play those maps with just one gpu? (driver problems)

you activated dual graphic cards in graphic options i hope? (sry :p just in case)
    you can try to disable "dynamic lightning" and "specular maps", if you haven't already done.

you can try running taskmanager and gpuz or other programms of your favour in background and see if the gpus or the cpu is going to it's limits.. if it's gpus try updating drivers, if it's just one gpu -> drivers, if it's cpu... have fun with settings again :D

ElementX and True.north like this.
  6. True.north

True.north Member Member

Thank you my friend! Will try to do what you have written and we will see what happens! Thank you again!

7. WarDog21

WarDog21 woofwoof

no problem ;)
    just tested all low settings... i had highest fps drop on crossfire and overgrown... they are big. didnt got anything similar to your problem... so maybe it's really the drivers. you could upload your config (cod4/profiles/yourProfile/config_mp.cfg) and i'll test using your config again.. than we can be sure, the config is fine, and it's a hardware/ driver problem.
    and i just realized one more thing. if you have been in Noobmod once, some grahpic settings will change.. it's the smooth edges on the floor. i dont know how to change that back ( @Perdikos ), that's why i copied my profile and use one for public and one for Noobmod. (copying profile resets all settings... including this smooth edges stuff).
    so maybe you could try to join Noobmod servers and keep using the same profile (join a few different versions.. i dont know if it's a particular one).. it makes the game looking not that nice but gave some fps improvement imo

True.north likes this.
  8. Perdikos

Perdikos Registered

Uhm, maybe you are talking about the retraced map (B54 on Noobmod menu) but that can be enabled only on pro mod servers, the edges get back to normal when joining a non - Noobmod one.
    Some settings that aren't available on the menu are:
    /r_drawdecals 0
    /r_drawsun 0
    /cl_maxpackets 100
    /r_fullbright 1 (just kidding)
    but the first two give a really slight fps boost, last one gives you smooth connection (lowers ping by about 10)
    Settings that drop fps mostly are Depth of Field (/r_dof_enable 0) specular map (r_specular 0) anti - alaising and bullet impacts <- when a grenade explodes it leaves a mark that greatly lowers fps.
    And of course resolution drops the fps and makes your movement laggy.
    If you still have problems you can try an FPS config to see the difference if any.

True.north and WarDog21 like this.
  9. WarDog21

WarDog21 woofwoof

/r_drawdecals 0
    i meant this one ;) and it's not changing back to default 1 when joining a public server. now i can delete one profile :D

True.north likes this.
  10. True.north

True.north Member Member

Thank you for all advices, did what you all said and it helped a bit :( The true problem is the cooling of grafic cards! This type of grafic cards has a strange cooling ventilator! It is basicly a disk that has small vertical fins all around the edge of disk! So it does what you would expect of it, colects dust! The dust gets in so easy and it sticks to the fins much more than on the ordinary ventilator! I used to clean the dust every 2-3 months, but it looks like I will have to do it ever3-4 weeks now :( So it basicaly comes down to overheating of the grafic cards! But anyways thank you for all the god sugestions! Looks like I will have to buy an "industrial ventilator" to put it into my computer! :p

11. a bullet

a bullet Registered

Lower your max FPS cap from maximun to 125 it will help with the heating!!! Also you use laptop or a normal PC???

True.north likes this.
  12. True.north

True.north Member Member

Normal PC @a bullet! Well looks like I will have to do something about the heating problem!

a bullet likes this.
  13. a bullet

a bullet Registered

I had the same problem with my laptop when i was playing LOL!!! Out of fights had 150 fps in fights i had 40!!! the solution for me was to put max fps to 80 and instantly the heat lowered and my fps never droped under 70!!! The GPU runing better when it is not used in full capacity all the time!!!!

True.north likes this.
  14. WarDog21

WarDog21 woofwoof

for easy dust cleaning, plug out all related fans or just block them (so you dont have induced voltages, which can damage your hardware) and use a vacuum cleaner (german directly translated it is "dust sucker" btw :D ) or a hair dryer to get rid of the dust.

if possible put gpus as far as possible away from each other. more space -> better air flow

you can try to undervolt them and/or to decrease clock speed, to reduce temperature a lot while still having good performance

get some custom cooler or the cheaper way:
    1) cut off all this fance plastic stuff around the gpu, and the standard fans as well.
    2) reinstall the gpus without fans.. just their metal cooler
    3) add some good high airflow fans around your gpus.
    this looks ugly, is pretty big, but cheap and much better than basic cooling

/edit: *trollingOn* or buy an expensive watercooling setup *trollingOff* :D

Sammy likes this.