1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY - Do It Yourself Thread

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ElementX, Dec 12, 2015.

1. -Sierra-

-Sierra- Merciless Kickrighted

wow its amazing

2. ElementX

ElementX Braindead Game Admin

Many of you heard but probably forgot this, i have really decent and cheap headphones (round 6 years), but after a while the ear pads went flat and my ears would get crushed by the plastic frame. it wasnt pleasant. And i finally decided to fix this really annoying problem. So, i just took my sisters hair curlers and tried to insert them in the cushion cover, but it wasnt going to happen. so i did the even better thing and just pushed them under the cushion and ye... And if anyone is asking why i havent done this like 5 years ago, well > its none of your damn business, thats why! and i cant believe how good they fit now, it was a 2 minute fix for a years worth of pain.

IMG_0068.JPG IMG_0069.JPG IMG_0070.JPG IMG_0071.JPG IMG_0072.JPG

@MILFhunter you have some serious workshop, what else are you in to? If its destroying the world, i want in!

Trobon, -Ho-Oh-, OTe and 4 others like this.
  3. ElementX

Wanted to share 2 simple yet functional designs i did. One is a modular head holder for flashlights that you can fit a light with different diameters and you can also fit this on small or huge heads, or over a hat. The second strap is actually a home-made tourniquet for ecd carry. I think its a must if you are in some out of town area (camping), or even in town, shiiit can happen so fast so better to have this in ur pocket. A tourniquet is a kind of a strap that prevents massive blood flow caused by injury (arms and legs only).

IMG_0074.JPG IMG_0075.JPG IMG_0076.JPG IMG_0077.JPG IMG_0078.JPG IMG_0079.JPG IMG_0080.JPG IMG_0081.JPG

All this talk about straps and flashlights...

-Ho-Oh-, Gisbourne, DigiTron and 4 others like this.
  4. Yabwon

Yabwon Senior Admin Senior Admin Donator

Well... kinda easy to make a strap-on from it now :p

redzYe and ElementX like this.
  5. ElementX

I Expected more from this, at this point its either store bought or ill just eh... go out and find a real one.

[jc]VanDamme likes this.
  6. [jc]VanDamme

[jc]VanDamme Kickrighted Kickrighted

I find that if you take away the glove and invert the sponges you can have a REALLY good time! :p

redzYe, Yabwon, OTe and 1 other person like this.
  7. Ardens

Ardens G-Rated Justice Senior Admin

Goal: Remove the stock plastic grills on the Sennheiser HD 518's and replace them with a more open and less restrictive mesh to allow for a wider sound stage and less muffling.

2016031415411408531.jpg

Looking for an appropriate replacement for the grills that wont cave in easy and has the right perforation. I turned to my computer speakers which I rarely use and were second hand to begin with. (Gateway's G-MAX 2100)

IMG_7005.jpg

I didn't take any in-between pictures but if you are interested in the process of replacing the grills, look here.

IMG_0558.JPG IMG_0559.JPG

Very happy with this mod and the sound different is quite noticeable when listening to some high quality tracks (especially acoustic focused).

Trobon, ElementX, -Ho-Oh- and 3 others like this.
  8. Lyzone

Lyzone Meme Elite - BETA Squad Commander Member Warteam Member

And here I was proud that I fixed the headband on my Steelseries Siberia v1's. LUL
    This mod is on a whole nother level. Hope the effect was worth it, seems like a lot of work.

9. Ardens

Only took a few hours from start to finish but the sound difference is well worth the time that was put in.

ElementX, -Ho-Oh-, OTe and 2 others like this.
  10. Yabwon

Yabwon Senior Admin Senior Admin Donator

I guess Sennheiser is one of the best (unless the best) company in headphones market, so I'm curious, what would happen, if you would send an opinion to them with your instruction, how you've improved it.

ElementX likes this.
  11. Trobon

Trobon Game Admin Game Admin

The funny thing is, the new Sennheiser Headphones do actually look like that ^ - Great job @Ardens :)

Yabwon, redzYe and ElementX like this.
  12. Ardens

@Yabwon, In reality, the only reason for the plastic grills is marketing tactics. Take a look at the next step up from the 518, the HD 558. They have a full mesh grill which is obviously more breathable than the plastic ones. Want to know the best part though? The HD 518, 558 and even the 598 all use the same drivers (speaker model), the only difference is appearance and some modifications to make the higher end models sound "better" (the biggest change being the grill types and how much padding is behind the drivers). Because the HD 518's are a lower audiophile model, they made them have slightly higher bass tone, probably for the kiddies who wanted to switch from their beats to something "elegant". So while doing this mod, I also used some blu tack putty and lined the open area between the grill and drivers. It diffidently cleared up the heavy bass tones as there isn't as much room for the sound to bounce around now.

Yabwon and Trobon like this.