• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

DIY - Do It Yourself Thread

I made a retro gaming "console"!
After using it for Kodi I wanted to use my raspberry pie for something fun so I made this arcade retro gaming "console"
I forgot to take pictures when I was making it so you can't see the entire build process :(

Here in the last picture you can see my son testing FIFA 97 and it seems to work fine :D
Right now it is booting from sd 16 Gb so my next project is to make it boot from USB hard drive so I can get more games on it and secure the pie + hard drive somewhere but that will be a winter project :D
wow its amazing

ElementX

Braindead
Game Admin
Many of you heard but probably forgot this, i have really decent and cheap headphones (round 6 years), but after a while the ear pads went flat and my ears would get crushed by the plastic frame. it wasnt pleasant. And i finally decided to fix this really annoying problem. So, i just took my sisters hair curlers and tried to insert them in the cushion cover, but it wasnt going to happen. so i did the even better thing and just pushed them under the cushion and ye... And if anyone is asking why i havent done this like 5 years ago, well > its none of your damn business, thats why! and i cant believe how good they fit now, it was a 2 minute fix for a years worth of pain.

IMG_0068.JPG IMG_0069.JPG IMG_0070.JPG IMG_0071.JPG IMG_0072.JPG

@MILFhunter you have some serious workshop, what else are you in to? If its destroying the world, i want in!

ElementX

Braindead
Game Admin
Wanted to share 2 simple yet functional designs i did. One is a modular head holder for flashlights that you can fit a light with different diameters and you can also fit this on small or huge heads, or over a hat. The second strap is actually a home-made tourniquet for ecd carry. I think its a must if you are in some out of town area (camping), or even in town, shiiit can happen so fast so better to have this in ur pocket. A tourniquet is a kind of a strap that prevents massive blood flow caused by injury (arms and legs only).

IMG_0074.JPG IMG_0075.JPG IMG_0076.JPG IMG_0077.JPG IMG_0078.JPG IMG_0079.JPG IMG_0080.JPG IMG_0081.JPG

All this talk about straps and flashlights...

Yabwon

Senior Admin
Senior Admin
Donator
Wanted to share 2 simple yet functional designs i did. One is a modular head holder for flashlights that you can fit a light with different diameters and you can also fit this on small or huge heads, or over a hat. The second strap is actually a home-made tourniquet for ecd carry. I think its a must if you are in some out of town area (camping), or even in town, shiiit can happen so fast so better to have this in ur pocket. A tourniquet is a kind of a strap that prevents massive blood flow caused by injury (arms and legs only).

All this talk about straps and flashlights...
Well... kinda easy to make a strap-on from it now :p

Ardens

Arma Guy
Senior Admin
Goal: Remove the stock plastic grills on the Sennheiser HD 518's and replace them with a more open and less restrictive mesh to allow for a wider sound stage and less muffling.

2016031415411408531.jpg

Looking for an appropriate replacement for the grills that wont cave in easy and has the right perforation. I turned to my computer speakers which I rarely use and were second hand to begin with. (Gateway's G-MAX 2100)

IMG_7005.jpg

I didn't take any in-between pictures but if you are interested in the process of replacing the grills, look here.

IMG_0558.JPG IMG_0559.JPG

Very happy with this mod and the sound different is quite noticeable when listening to some high quality tracks (especially acoustic focused).

Lyzone

Meme Elite - BETA Squad Commander
Warteam Member
Goal: Remove the stock plastic grills on the Sennheiser HD 518's and replace them with a more open and less restrictive mesh to allow for a wider sound stage and less muffling.

Looking for an appropriate replacement for the grills that wont cave in easy and has the right perforation. I turned to my computer speakers which I rarely use and were second hand to begin with. (Gateway's G-MAX 2100)

I didn't take any in-between pictures but if you are interested in the process of replacing the grills, look here.

Very happy with this mod and the sound different is quite noticeable when listening to some high quality tracks (especially acoustic focused).

And here I was proud that I fixed the headband on my Steelseries Siberia v1's. LUL
This mod is on a whole nother level. Hope the effect was worth it, seems like a lot of work.

Yabwon

Senior Admin
Senior Admin
Donator

I guess Sennheiser is one of the best (unless the best) company in headphones market, so I'm curious, what would happen, if you would send an opinion to them with your instruction, how you've improved it.

Ardens

Arma Guy
Senior Admin
@Yabwon, In reality, the only reason for the plastic grills is marketing tactics. Take a look at the next step up from the 518, the HD 558. They have a full mesh grill which is obviously more breathable than the plastic ones. Want to know the best part though? The HD 518, 558 and even the 598 all use the same drivers (speaker model), the only difference is appearance and some modifications to make the higher end models sound "better" (the biggest change being the grill types and how much padding is behind the drivers). Because the HD 518's are a lower audiophile model, they made them have slightly higher bass tone, probably for the kiddies who wanted to switch from their beats to something "elegant". So while doing this mod, I also used some blu tack putty and lined the open area between the grill and drivers. It diffidently cleared up the heavy bass tones as there isn't as much room for the sound to bounce around now.

ElementX

Braindead
Game Admin
I finally finished my pocket first aid kit, this is just for small cuts and stuff, and only if you or someone close to you isnt in a position to get to a hospital. I can clean the wound and i can also suture the deeper cuts, ye, i had some practice with a fake cut using a mouse pad. You can also see my every day carry (EDC) in the pics, holsters were also made by me. The one holding the metal boxes can fold to fit the narrow pockets. The other box has cut napkins for that spring allergy season or winter sniffles. And who can say no to small multitool pliers.

IMG_0105.JPG IMG_0106.JPG IMG_0108.JPG IMG_0110.JPG

I finally finished my pocket first aid kit, this is just for small cuts and stuff, and only if you or someone close to you isnt in a position to get to a hospital. I can clean the wound and i can also suture the deeper cuts, ye, i had some practice with a fake cut using a mouse pad. You can also see my every day carry (EDC) in the pics, holsters were also made by me. The one holding the metal boxes can fold to fit the narrow pockets. The other box has cut napkins for that spring allergy season or winter sniffles. And who can say no to small multitool pliers.

View attachment 7329 View attachment 7330 View attachment 7331 View attachment 7332
any chance to train a new people for your apocalypse team? If yes , where to apply?

ElementX

Braindead
Game Admin
in reality, if something was to happen, it would happen so fast we would barely have any chance to run away, all the stuff i gathered would be in my backpack, but, what if im not home when that thing happens, so, chances are we will all have the same odds to survive. The only difference would be the level of thought put in to preparation for that something.

in reality, if something was to happen, it would happen so fast we would barely have any chance to run away, all the stuff i gathered would be in my backpack, but, what if im not home when that thing happens, so, chances are we will all have the same odds to survive. The only difference would be the level of thought put in to preparation for that something.
by the way lets not think about apocalypse yet, maybe nearest reality now is tensions between Serbian and Albanian people, both of them want Kosovo, and if news are not lying tensions are bigger and bigger what might result in war between people. My father was called yesterday since he participated in war of 1992 to get ready to come to Serbia under arms if war begin... Kinda spooky to think about it. I was called too same as my grandpa... Im trying not to think about it. Now I begin to hate the fact I volonteered for 6 months of military training last year. dang it

EDIT// and you know very well what massacre are able to do both Serbians and Albanians

REEDIT//by thing I wrote above I DO NOT promote politics, harassment or anything that can be taken as an insult for anyone