1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY - Do It Yourself Thread

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ElementX, Dec 12, 2015.

1. ElementX

ElementX Braindead Game Admin

As the title say, this will be the thread for all the stuff you or someone did by himself > a home/hand made creations or mods. Lately i got in to camping, and before i actually go , i wanted to gather all the necessary gear. And a lot of the stuff is just expensive, but a lot can be hand made or modded. So, i would like to use this thread to inspire creativity, and just see how everyday stuff can be used for something totally different then the original purpose, or how they can be used to create totally new tools and functions. And go nuts, just post what ever small solutions u did that made u proud. Like Martha Stewart said : It's a good thing !

DigiTron, Zaid, lifeboy and 8 others like this.
  2. ElementX

For starters, one of my first major mods was pc cable sleeving. All i needed was old radio antenna and stapler clips do disconnect the cables from jacks, few meters of colored paracord, heat shrink tube, lighter, scissors, some glue and a lot of time and patience. The thing is, im to lazy to run it step by step, if u are really interested, ask me. But unlike some tutorial vids where u actually replace the whole cable, this is simple, u use your old cables, just remove the wire from the jack , cut the paracord to match the length of the cable, remove the strings inside and put the cable inside the paracord, use the lighter to melt paracord around the metal connectors of the cable and put heat shrinking tube around it (these tubes also come in colors). return the cable in its place ( be careful when u do it, u can cause serious damage to ur pc if u dont reconnect it proper) and do this for all the cables u like. took me like 30+ hours for all the cables i could get, 6h alone just for the sata power cable for hdd's. And its cheap, like all u need is paracord ( i gave 10€ for 15m) and heat shrinking tube which is like 2€ for a meter, just pick a size u need and color ofc.

now, here are some before and after photos

010.JPG 010 (2).JPG 15.12 004.JPG 15.12 023.JPG

some close up photos

15.12 021.JPG 027.JPG 036.JPG 037.JPG

and this was my whole work area

021.JPG

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    OTe, Yabwon, DigiTron and 10 others like this.
  3. ElementX

After i did some browsing for camping gear, i noticed i would probably need some kind of a water canister for showering or cleaning stuff or what ever, and i tried to find one online. And ye , the stuff i could find isnt cheap, and its not quite what i would even use. So i just made one. Took a shopping bag, duct tape, regular tape, scissors , some rope for the holders and thats it. U put a bag as flat as possible on the straight surface and just glue the tape along the length of the bag. Use one single strap to cover both sides, press it hard and straight so that there are no air bubbles trapped under the tape. once ur done, insert some object to give it square shape, i used a shoe box. Then just wrap the duct tape along the width of the bag, add the straps (rope i also wrapped in duct tape) and ur done. Might look stupid, but it works, i can later mod it a bit, add some straps so i can carry it on my back. But for now, u stick a small hose and u get a shower bag u can pack in a backpack. And this thing can hold around 10kg of water.

IMG_9860.JPG IMG_9862.JPG IMG_9865.JPG IMG_9866.JPG IMG_9868.JPG IMG_9870.JPG IMG_9872.JPG IMG_9873.JPG IMG_9874.JPG

Yabwon, DigiTron, lifeboy and 7 others like this.
  4. Trobon

Trobon Game Admin Game Admin

Haha that looks kinda like the new fashion for Handbags :D But well done ;)

5. OverDoch

OverDoch Glitch = Autokick

[​IMG]

that pic made me laugh so hard, idk why xD

lifeboy and ElementX like this.
  6. WarDog21

WarDog21 woofwoof

• you can let cotton pads (or similar stuff.. carton working as well) suck up liquid wax, to create cheap fire starter pads
    • have some powder to just add hot water to, to get some kind of food
    • you can create a small oven by stabbing holes into a can
    • if its way too wet, and your shoes cant dry, put plastic bags over your socks and then put on the shoes
    • you can even creating throw away shoes with a stable piece of wood or so, put one more pair of socks below the socks you are already wearing, but a bag over that bundle and ducktape the wood to your feet
    • have at least your fresh clothes and food somewhere waterproofed as plastic bags
    always have rope, ducktape, a lighter, a flashlight some plastic bags with you.. and a knife ofc.. but that should not be your problem :D

lifeboy and ElementX like this.
  7. ElementX

Not to worry @WarDog21 , there is more to come.

8. Smokva

Smokva Member Member

You misspelled fleshlight there bud ;)

ElementX, lifeboy, KonZone and 4 others like this.
  9. Alex2PRyder

Alex2PRyder I Love You Guys <3

Isn't it spelt "flashlight" ?

OverDoch likes this.
  10. Gianni

Gianni Community Leader Community Leader

Woooosh. You missed the joke.

Jerry, lifeboy, KonZone and 9 others like this.
  11. Putty

Putty Banrighted Banrighted

Omg Element you same like me, i do myself lots of things :D I working as Vehicle mechanic and Motorhome Caravan Technician so ask if you need idea :D I seen many people how sort it some expensive staff which needed for nice holiday but made by hand at home from cheap things. Exam if you need external shower you make yourself with only 10 pounds. :p funny i will collect some idea for ya tomo in workshop :p

ElementX likes this.
  12. Alex2PRyder

There was a joke!?! :eek:

ElementX likes this.
  13. WarDog21

WarDog21 woofwoof

over 16

lifeboy, Dr.Old, Welden and 2 others like this.
  14. Putty

Putty Banrighted Banrighted

15. Welden

Welden Very anti-fish

what did I just see

16. Alex2PRyder

What has been seen cannot be unseen :confused:

17. ElementX

made a match from a screwdriver, radio antenna and a blood sample bottle. I know these items might look crappy , but its what i had lying around, i just grab what ever i can and just mix them up. I figured i make this as an alternative fire source, if my real matches and my lighter fail. What u do is sharpen the screwdrivers head, cut the antenna to the needed length , antenna will hold the fuse ( strings of natural material or cotton wool ) and u need a magnesium flint fire starter to light the fuse or spark it. Ofc , for all of it to work > you need to soak the fuse in alcohol or some sort of flammable liquid.

IMG_9823.JPG IMG_9876.JPG IMG_9821.JPG IMG_9877.JPG IMG_9881.JPG IMG_9828.JPG IMG_9883.JPG IMG_9884.JPG

OTe, Yabwon, Blade and 5 others like this.
  18. ElementX

This is my small survival kit. These kind of kits can always be updated and there is no standard to it, but i think mine has most of the stuff u need in a bad situation. All the items will be listed.

IMG_9891.JPG

1. Duct Tape ( around half a meter in a roll)
    2. Strings of natural fiber and a cotton wool for starting a fire and to replace a fuse on the custom made match (item 17)
    3. Fishing hooks and sinkers ( different sizes)
    4. Tooth Picks ( a must have )
    5. Rubber Bands
    6. 1/2 Circle Needle ( can be used to stitch a cut )
    7. Matches and a Match Striker
    8. A Metal Box that holds items 1 - 7 ( a duct taped bag holds items 2,3 and 4 and goes inside this metal box)
    9. Emergency Whistle ( goes around the neck )
    10. See-through Rubber Tube ( good for picking up liquids by creating a vacuum with a finger )
    11. Wire Saw ( can cut a small tree if u have the energy and the time )
    12. Key Chain Rings ( multiple functions for tents, ropes, knots , traps ... )
    13. Sewing Kit ( a synthetic string wrapped around a piece of styrodur with 3 needles inside, styrodur can be used as a floater for fishing )
    14. Small Scissors ( they have a good locking mechanism, are compact but do not cut that well , eh... )
    15. 11 in 1 Multi Tool Card ( pic in the bottom explains the functions )
    16. Lighter
    17. Custom Made Match and a Flint ( item is explained in previous post )
    18. Fishing Lines ( about 20m of both 0,20 and 0,40 mm size )
    19. Fire Starting Flint ( you use the metal saw to grind the left side of the flint and then slide the saw along the right side to strike a spark, spark ignites the powder grinder from the left side creating > fire )
    20. Copper Wire ( multiple functions )

11 in 1 Multi Tool functions

item_XL_4949582_1593691.jpg

All of these items go inside the waterproof nade box. Nade box was bought in army surplus store ( nades are not included :( ).

OTe, Unlucky, Micks_VonD and 3 others like this.
  19. Trobon

Trobon Game Admin Game Admin

How old this thread already is... Had to revive it a little bit. Soo, here is new little baby.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OTe, CmD, Rayne and 4 others like this.
  20. ElementX

thats one sexy beast. im almost jealous.

Trobon likes this.