• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Crack the code

GammaDeltaII

RiddleBox
Retired Admin
So, this is kind of Puzzle time! 2.0, level: advanced. :D This time you may use any resources you want, because I don't know the answer either. :)

I came across this interesting news item. The British Library is seeking the public's help to decipher an inscription on a 13th-century, double-edged sword found in the River Witham, Lincolnshire, England, in July 1825. The sword is a "classic knightly sword" that was most likely owned by a wealthy knight or noble and it's possibly of German manufacture. The inscription, which could be a religious invocation, seems to read the following:

+NDXOXCHWDnCHDXORVI+

Here's a picture of the inscription on the sword:

To date, people have not been able to decipher it and they're not sure which language it was written in. The post from the British Library:

http://britishlibrary.typepad.co.uk...015/08/help-us-decipher-this-inscription.html

British Museum:

http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/pe/d/double-edged_sword.aspx

Good luck with deciphering! :)

(And don't spam too much :p)

Last edited:
it really sounds a little bit like a spoken language

first and last sign seems to just look beautiful imo.
i think your 'n' is a phi.. but not sure about that. the first C is a G imo

ND X O X GHWD PiCHD X O RVI /edit: ofc i meant pi here ;D stupid me :D
and i oh i ??? fight/fear i oh ???

"dxo" is repeated

maybe it's just a name like this one "Llanfairpwllgwyngyll-gogerychwyrndrobwll-llantysilio-gogogoch".. who knows? :D

Last edited:

GammaDeltaII

RiddleBox
Retired Admin
It looks similar to this (see the overview of letters at the end) and this. That's why I think those are both C's and the 'n' is an N. (By the way, did you mean pi? Because phi looks completely different :p)

Heimdall

LMG/Sniper-[No]Skiller
The inscription defies easy translation. It is most likely a phrase - possibly from the Bible - spelled with only initial letters. That's like writing "TLIMSISNW," instead of "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want." But I'm not sure of the language. It may be Latin or Greek, it may be something else, the W might be an upside-down M, and the VI at the end is debatable.

The inscription defies easy translation. It is most likely a phrase - possibly from the Bible - spelled with only initial letters. That's like writing "TLIMSISNW," instead of "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want." But I'm not sure of the language. It may be Latin or Greek, it may be something else, the W might be an upside-down M, and the VI at the end is debatable.
which language has the most words starting with X?

CmD

はい、私はルナです.
Game Admin
Donator
Movie Master
My Idea:

+NDXOXCHWDRGHDXORVI+ In binary is :
Code:
00101011 01001110 01000100 01011000 01001111 01011000 01000011 01001000 01010111 01000100 01010010 01000111 01001000 01000100 01011000 01001111 01010010 01010110 01001001 00101011
. Which got me thinking to convert it into morse code.

If you convert it into morse you get:
Code:
·-·-· -. -.. -..- --- -..- -.-. .... .-- -.. .-. --. .... -.. -..- --- .-. ...- .. ·-·-·
After playing this as audio, it sounds like an alert, or a gargled message that the sender is being disturbed from his message.

Then, if we reverse the text from +NDXOXCHWDRGHDXORVI+, we instead get: +IVROXDHGRDWHCXOXDN+. I lined them up and I see words appear in my mind. Ignore the backwards section from translation, I just put it this way as I noticed something on it when it was backwards.
+NDXOXCHWDRGHDXORVIIVROXDHGRDWHCXOXDN+

ND : a warning. Similar to the 'NB' or 'Note Below' but Changing of the letter could mean a amount of importance to what is trying to be gotten across.
XOX: seen today as hugs and kisses, but could be symbolism for peace and prosperity.
CH: As the Church was a dominant power in Medieval Europe, and highly important to the people, this would be logical as CH.
WD: War and death.
RGH: sound of screams, more commonly screamed as 'AGGGHHHH'. Made to inflict fear that this war and death is worse than anything previous in our history.
DXORVI: This was the tricky one. When I flipped the whole word, this jumped out to me. IVROXD. Or IV ROXD --> '4 Roads'. 4 paths maybe. It could mean that there is a choice that must happen, to either change fate, or make sure it happens. The way it is clearer backwards could mean that this path is the wrong choice, hence it is backwards but there is 4 paths we could take. The use of Roman numbering usually gets overlooked and so a great way not to alert suspicion to the sword until the right time.

So, what have I arrived at. It seems to be a message from the future, sealed on an object that won't be touched for years. It is protected in a museum, someplace where they treat things like this with respect and take care of them. And then there is the publicity, there seems to be a lot of people dedicated to trying to decipher the riddle of the sword. All signs pointing towards that this sword could have a grave importance.

With the text being on a sword, it shows a physical representation of war and violence. Not something fancy or advanced, but a sword. Something we can recognise even from thousands of years ago, as a tool of war. This makes the warning clear. To me it could mean time travel. Its as if the timetraveller needs the truth to appear at the right time, to change events for whatever reason. He/she/it would know that they couldn't actually write down their reasons directly for people. This would seriously alter History as whole because people would read directly into the sword right away and not wait for the right moment. Cults could be dedicated to the sword and who was behind it, due to it containing messages from the future, made in the far past which has always been curious to people if it was possible. Maybe because noone can translate the message yet, we are not ready to decode it.

Food for thought.

(Yeahhhhh I got a little carried away and a lil' bored :p )

Horrow

Registered
The most idiotic and irrelevant post you will ever see,

NDXOXCHWDnCHDXORVI

Little part of meaning xD
WD u know what company it is
XOR is a gate used in circuit design
VI is the version of the gate xd
HD is high definition
ND night and day
XOX this was a mistake my by the blacksmith it was XOXO
CH this part is mistake also it was HC (Horrow- chan)

I knew I shouldn't get my sword done by that fucking blaxksmith

Thou since I'm a kid there are many ways to see it
Based on my interpretation

I the great sword of night and day belong to Horrow- chan and his beloved hard disk manufacturer WD and their sons CHD (chan hard disk) version X or version VI

I knew the blacksmith shouldn't have done that, you see that sword is mine, it was made for me for my wedding as a gift for me and WD , I didn't want people to know that truth but I didn't know people were so interested in my marriage xD

Definitely not Greek or ancient Greek!!! The leters are latin!

Hyde

2013's stuff
in school we did Time Capsule, that we will open more 30 years. ( the topic was, things that we want to get)
so i put a picture of a really hot lady, topless ofc.
looks like someone trolled before me

Last edited:

i admit to have used c++ to solve this problem :D found only one solution
red twice, blue once, brown once white twice, dont touch the middle one