1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooking time revived!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by GammaDeltaII, Jul 11, 2015.

1. GammaDeltaII

GammaDeltaII RiddleBox Senior Admin

Hey everyone!

A while ago (actually more than a year ago already) @shujinko created this thread to share and try recipes. Unfortunately no one really tried the recipe or shared his/her own recipe and the thread died. Now I thought it would be nice to revive it. Since the old thread was spammed, I created a new one. So, please, share your recipes and — also very important — add a picture of the result. Just keep it simple, so everyone can (try to) make it. :) (And, please, try not to spam this thread.)

Index

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    -Ho-Oh-, Ganja Hero!, Voodoo and 18 others like this.
  2. GammaDeltaII

So, I'll start off by sharing a recipe of the risotto I made today. :)

Spicy Spanish Risotto

Number of people: 3 or maybe 4, depending on how much they eat

Time: 30 min or more, depending on your prepping and cooking skills

Required ingredients:
    • About 1000 ml water (you'll have to see for yourself how much you actually need)
    • 1 chicken bouillon cube
    • 2 shallots
    • 1 or 2 cloves of garlic
    • 250 gr chorizo
    • 2 red chilli / Spanish peppers (and maybe some extra freshly ground pepper for seasoning if you like)
    • 3 bell peppers (preferably red, green and yellow — to make it colourful :) )
    • 300 gr of risotto rice (e.g. Arborio)
    • 250 gr cherry tomatoes
    • 200 gr champignon mushrooms (or alternatively you could use beans)
    • 100 gr grated Parmesan cheese (Parmigiano-Reggiano)
    • Some olive oil
    Method:
    • First of all, start boiling the water with the chicken bouillon cube, since it will take a while to bring it to a boil. (Of course you may also make your own stock, instead of using a stock cube. :p )
    • Peel and chop the shallots and the garlic (small pieces).
    • Cut off the ends of the Spanish peppers and roll them in your hands to remove the seeds. Then chop them into small pieces.
    • Dice the chorizo. (Well, cubes look nice, but do as you like. Just cut it into small pieces :p )
    • Halve the bell peppers, remove the seeds and then chop them (the pieces don't have to be very small).
    • Halve the cherry tomatoes and chop the champignon mushrooms (not too small pieces, because they tend to shrink a little during cooking anyway).
    • Heat some olive oil and lightly fry the garlic and the shallots, until they look glassy. (Make sure the oil is not too hot, because you don't want to burn the shallots and garlic. So, keep the heat low.)
    • Add the chopped Spanish peppers, the chorizo and the bell peppers and let it cook for 4-5 minutes.
    • Now add the risotto rice and cook it — while continuously stirring — until it becomes glassy. (This is important, don't immediately add the stock. When the rice is glassy it's ready to absorb the stock.)
    • Add some of the stock (probably about half) such that the rice is just submerged. Let the rice absorb the stock and keep adding stock until the rice is done. This will probably take about 20 minutes (just taste it to check). Remember to keep stirring. It may be that you have some stock left in the end. That's fine. The risotto should flow like lava. :D If it's too sticky, add more stock. If it's too watery, just let it cook a little longer.
    • Add the cherry tomatoes and champignon mushrooms in the last 5 minutes. (You don't want to overcook them.)
    • Finally, add some grated Parmesan cheese. (Either stir it into the risotto or sprinkle it on top, or do both, as you like. :) )
    The result: (Well, when it was almost done. :) )

risotto.JPG

¡Que approveche!

The original recipe can be found here (in Dutch), with a video. I just added peppers and used mushrooms instead of beans.

orihime likes this.
  3. True.north

True.north Member Member

Nice one @GammaDeltaII gonna try this one out next time, when it will be my turn to cook at work! Will give you feedback! But I'm afraid I will have to double the amount of everythingto feed the guys at firestation! :p

GammaDeltaII likes this.
  4. Gr1m Reaper

Gr1m Reaper Acta non verba

I bet it tastes good, though I hate so much vegetables in it, actually I hate vegetables in anything, except salads...

5. Blade

Blade Hopeless case Banrighted Donator

Blade's simple pizza

3-4 people
    1h + 1h of waiting
    Ingredients:
    -for home made dough: 400g of flour, 10g of fresh yeast(dried is good too but you shoul put it less), teaspoon of salt, 50ml of oil, 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, 200ml of water(more or less depending on flour quality)
    -topping: mashed tomato, pizza ham, cheese, origano, tomato, peppers, onion, mushrooms,...
    Method:
    You can buy dough or make it at home. I do it myself.
    1. put flour in bowl and add salt and oil
    2. heat up water a bit and add in yeast and sugar, mix this and leave it for 5 min
    3. put water with yeast in flour and knead it for 20 min( it's very important to knead it enough because it won't stretch good)
    4. I split dough in 2 pieces and one piece is enough for 30-35 cm pizza, leave dough for about 1h to grow on room temp(you should cover it because it will dry and you don't want that)
    5. then you have to stretch dough like this guy here
    6. cover your pizza pan with oil and put dough in
    7. put on it whatever you like ( mashed tomatoes,ketchup, pizza ham,cheese, mushrooms) and some origano
    8. bake it 10 min on 200°C
    9. Enjoy!

I usually put on it mushrooms that I find in woods but I didn't put them this time.
    btw my phone camera sucks
    Fotografija0091.jpg
    Fotografija0092.jpg
    Fotografija0096.jpg
    Fotografija0097.jpg

Voodoo, Zant, LaraCroft and 7 others like this.
  6. GammaDeltaII

Mexican bean oven dish

Number of people: 3

Time: 30 min or more, depending on your prepping and cooking skills

Required ingredients:
    • 2 (red) onions or 4 shallots
    • 1 clove of garlic
    • around 400 gr of kidney beans
    • around 400 gr of black beans
    • 250 gr of sweetcorn
    • 1 red chilli pepper (not too spicy this time :p )
    • 2 bell peppers (a red one and a green one, since the corn is already yellow :) )
    • 2 tomatoes
    • 2 chicken fillets / breasts (300-400 gr)
    • about 30 gr of taco seasoning mix
    • 200-250 ml of crème fraîche
    • 200 gr of grated cheese
    • 100-150 gr of tortilla chips
    • some sunflower oil
    Method:
    • Peel and chop the garlic and the onions or shallots
    • Cut off the end(s) of the chilli pepper and remove the seeds (roll in your hands)
    • Halve the bell peppers and remove the seeds. Then halve them again and slice them widthwise
    • Cut the tomatoes into small pieces
    • Cut the chicken into small pieces and mix it with the chopped garlic and the taco seasoning mix (don't add any water to the seasoning mix)
    • Pour the canned beans and sweetcorn in a sieve or colander, rinse them and let the water drain off
    • Heat some oil in a large pan and lightly fry the onions or shallots (just until they look glassy, don't burn them)
    • Add the chicken mixed with the garlic and the taco seasoning mix and let it cook for a moment
    • Add the chilli pepper and the sliced bell peppers
    • Meanwhile heat the oven (200°C) and oil the baking dish
    • Add the tomatoes
    • At the end add the beans and sweetcorn
    • Put everything in the baking dish
    • Mix the crème fraîche with half of the grated cheese and put it on top
    • Crumble the tortilla chips on top of the crème fraîche
    • Finally, sprinkle the other half of the grated cheese on top of the tortilla chips
    • Put the dish in the oven for about 15 minutes and it should be ready
    Pictures:

IMG_0149.jpg IMG_0150.jpg IMG_0151.jpg IMG_0152.jpg IMG_0153.jpg

¡Que approveche!

The original recipe can be found here (again in Dutch with video).

7. St. Anger

St. Anger Slaprighted Member

It ain't a recipe but it's all explained, just like a recipe :D

8. GammaDeltaII

Salmon with baby potatoes and stir-fried veggies

This time a "recipe" of my own. It's rather straightforward, nothing special really. Vegetables with potatoes is typically Dutch one could say, though I pimped it a bit. The quantities are just a matter of how many people you intend to cook for and how much you're willing to spend (since salmon can be quite expensive). You can also use some different vegetables for stir-frying, whatever you like. This is just what I used.

Number of people: 2-3

Time: 30 min, tops

Required ingredients:
    • 600 gr fresh salmon fillet(s) — I'd say at least 200 gr per person :)
    • 600 gr baby potatoes, peeled or in the skin (whatever you like, though I think in the skin is tastier)
    • 400 gr snow peas
    • 1 bell pepper (I happened to have a yellow one left, adds colour :p)
    • 200 gr champignon mushrooms
    • A bundle of spring onions (just a few, like 5-6)
    • A clove of garlic, if you like
    • Some fresh twigs of dill
    • Some salt and pepper for seasoning
    • Some butter and oil
    Method:
    • Start boiling the baby potatoes with some salt
    • Take a baking dish that has a lid or that you can close somehow (I used glass ones that you can put on top of each other)
    • Grease the baking dish with (liquid) butter — don't be too conservative ;)
    • Put the salmon in the baking dish and season with salt — I like to keep salmon "au naturel", don't want to spoil its great taste :)
    • Put the salmon in the oven (in the closed baking dish) for about 20 minutes
    • Meanwhile prep your veggies, so if you're using the same I did:
      • Rinse the snow peas, cut off the tips and remove any tough strings (along the sides)
      • Slice the bell pepper, after you removed the seeds
      • Chop the spring onions and the champignon mushrooms
      • Chop one clove of garlic, to add to the veggies, if you like
    • Heat some oil in a stir-frying pan (if you don't have one, just use a large frying pan)
    • Put the veggies in the stir-frying pan and season with some salt and pepper
    • Stir-fry the veggies at high heat for just 4-5 minutes, such that the snow peas and the bell pepper still have a crispy bite
    • When the baby potatoes are done, drain off the water
    • Add some butter to the potatoes and gently mix through some twigs of fresh dill — or just add the dill once the food is on the plate
    • Get the salmon from the oven (add a twig of dill for decoration :p) and serve everything together
    Picture:

salmon.jpg

Eet smakelijk! (Just in Dutch this time :D)

lifeboy, ROYAL-WARRIOR, Blade and 5 others like this.
  9. Alexander 3<

Alexander 3< Registered

I like this thread so I wanna share one of my favorites recipes and a cultural piece of the place where I'm living in

It's best to use frozen octopus, as the icicles break down its flesh during freezing, which makes it more tender.

3 tentacles weighing 11/2kg/3lb in total, frozen, thawed and drained
    19 waxy potatoes, such as Roseval
    A good pinch of sea salt
    A drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
    2tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
    1tsp sweet Spanish paprika

Bring a large pot of well-salted water to boil. Wash the octopus under cold running water. When the water is boiling rapidly, plunge the octopus in for 15 seconds, then remove. Allow the water to reboil and repeat this four times, allowing the water to boil between each immersion. On the last plunge, turn the heat down to barely a simmer and leave the octopus to cook for 35 minutes, or until tender. Remove the octopus from the pan and allow to cool.

Bring the water back to the boil. Add the potatoes and cook for 30 minutes, or until tender. Remove from the pan and peel once cool enough to handle.

Using a sharp knife, slice the octopus tentacles and potatoes into 1cm slices. Arrange the potatoes on a serving plate and cover with the octopus. Sprinkle with the sea salt, drizzle generously with the olive oil and finish with the parsley and sweet paprika. Serve immediately. '

It taste better with a good bottle of a white wine called ribeiro

Blade, GammaDeltaII and ElementX like this.
  10. FORCE

FORCE Registered

SARMA

INGREDIENTS

• 10ounces ground veal (beef or lamb may be used if you prefer)
    • 1⁄3cup rice
    • 1medium onion, finely minced
    • salt and pepper
    • paprika
    • beef stock or water
    • butter and sour cream, to serve
    DIRECTIONS
    1. Separate the cabbage leaves, being careful not to tear them.
    2. Mix meat, rice, onion, salt, pepper, and paprika.
    3. Place about a tablespoon or more (use your own judgment based on the size of the leaves) of the meat mixture into each cabbage leaf, near its base.
    4. Begin rolling the leaf from the base into a thick cylinder, tucking in the sides after the first "roll."
    5. Layer the cylinders tightly into a medium-sized or large pot.
    6. Cover the sarma with beef stock or water (I find that if you use water, it makes its own broth anyways with the meat as it cooks).
    7. Cover the pot, bring to a boil, and simmer for at least three hours.
    8. Serve with butter and sour cream, with or without some of the cooking liquids according to your preference.
    9. *Boiled potatoes are often eaten with sarma, and they go quite well together.

If you find this complicated then I will look for a good video with explanation on how to make them, It's traditional meal in Croatia and some other countries :)
    Have a good meal!
    Part 8 is not actually necessary because you can serve sarma like a soup(when it's finished just grab 1 sarma on your plate and add some soup and I mean soup from the pot :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2015
  11. FORCE

FORCE Registered

I see that Blade and ElementX like sarma too?

12. Blade

Sure. But I like it with sour cabbage(kiseli kupus).

True.north and FORCE like this.
  13. GammaDeltaII

Baked potato leftovers

Just something quick and easy for lunch, if you have cooked potato leftovers from dinner the day before. No quantities for this "recipe", since that depends on how many leftovers you have. :)

Time: 20 min

Required ingredients:
    • Cooked potatoes
    • Some slices of bacon or anything alike (cured ham)
    • Onion or shallots
    • Clove of garlic
    • Rosemary
    • Basil
    • Some oil
    Method:
    • Chop the onion/shallots and the clove of garlic — and the rosemary and basil, if you're using fresh herbs
    • Slice the slices of bacon into small strips or pieces
    • Heat some oil in a pan and lightly fry the onion/shallots, garlic and bacon
    • Cut the cooked potatoes into small pieces and add to the rest
    • Add the rosemary and basil
    • Let it cook until the potatoes are crispy, golden brown (don't forget to give the pan a shake and toss the potatoes every now and then)
    Result:

IMG_0157.JPG

Yum yum! :)

14. Blade

GammaDeltaII likes this.
  15. FORCE

FORCE Registered

Oh yeah, too bad I can't edit it :p
    I wasn't paying attention on that, I like kiseli kupus too :D

True.north and Blade like this.
  16. Welden

Welden Very anti-fish

That's the kind of easy, tastefull stuff I need as a student !! Saving this , and first thing I use next semester :D

FORCE and GammaDeltaII like this.
  17. GammaDeltaII

Time to post a new recipe. :) Made this a while ago. Just hadn't posted it yet.

Leek oven dish with potatoes and a twist of curry

Number of people: 3-4

Time: 40-50 min (don't really remember actually)

Required ingredients:
    • 4 leeks
    • 2 bell peppers
    • 2 tomatoes
    • 1 clove of garlic
    • 1 big onion
    • 500 gr minced meat
    • 1200 gr potato slices (pre-cooked)
    • 1 chilli (optional, if you like it a little spicy)
    • 200 ml crème fraîche
    • 200 gr grated cheese
    • 1 egg
    • 1 or 2 tbsp curry (powder)
    • 1 tbsp cayenne (or maybe half, if you add the chilli)
    • some breadcrumb
    • salt for seasoning (probably no need for extra pepper :))
    Method:
    • Halve the leeks and slice them in half rings (first remove the dark green part and rinse them properly, since they usually contain quite a bit of sand at the ends)
    • Slice the bell peppers
    • Cut the tomatoes in pieces
    • Peel and chop the clove of garlic (finely) and the onion
    • Heat some oil in a pan and add the curry and cayenne first to get the spices going (don't burn it)
    • Shortly after, add the onion and garlic (fry lightly)
    • Then, add the minced meat (season with salt) and cook until it's browned
    • Add the leeks, bell peppers and chilli
    • Last, add the tomatoes
    • Meanwhile preheat the oven (200°C should do) and grease the oven dish
    • Mix the crème fraîche with the egg and a little bit of curry
    • Start filling the dish with a layer of potato slices (use half)
    • Fill the dish with the mix of minced meat, leeks and other vegetables
    • Add the second half of the potato slices on top
    • Cover the potatoes with the mix of crème fraîche, egg and curry powder
    • Sprinkle the grated cheese on top together with some breadcrumb to get a crispy crust
    • Put the dish in the oven until the crust looks nicely golden brown (20-30 min)
    Result:

IMG_0162.jpg IMG_0164.jpg

Enjoy! :)

lifeboy, Blade, KonZone and 4 others like this.
  18. lifeboy

lifeboy I Will Be Watching You Banrighted Donator

Sri Lanka Recipes:Kottu Roti
    3 cups of Godhamba roti, shredded
    2 carrots, julienned
    1/2 cup shredded cabbage (optional)
    1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
    2 leeks, sliced
    2 eggs
    1 tsp chopped ginger
    1 tsp chopped garlic
    1/2 - 1 tsp of chillie powder
    1/2 - 1 tsp of curry powder
    salt and pepper
    1-2 green chillies, chopped
    1 tbsp oil or butter

Heat the oil in a pan under low flame. Add ginger and garlic and fry till fragrant.
    Next add the spices, fry for minutes or so. Next add the vegetables and stir-fry for couple of minutes. Remove from the contents from the pan.
    Now add some oil to pan, add the beaten eggs, green peppers and the rotis and stir. Add some pepper and salt to taste.
    Serve hot.
    1-135.jpg
    Make soon!!!!!!:D

ROYAL-WARRIOR, Blade, Zant and 3 others like this.
  19. Sammy

Sammy Game Admin Game Admin Warteam Member

<3 This :D

20. lifeboy

lifeboy I Will Be Watching You Banrighted Donator

sri lanka sweet-pani Walalu / Undu walalu
    Only 40

INGREDIENTS:
    2 cups Urad Dal (Undu) – Which is washed and black skin removed
    1 cup rice flour
    1 cups coconut milk
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 – 4 cups sugar
    1 cup water
    Oil to fry

DIRECTIONS:
    Making The Sugar Syrup:
    In a medium size saucepan place the sugar and water and keep it on medium heat. Stir the mixture until sugar is dissolve. Let it be there for nearly 10 minutes or till you get a bit thicker sugar syrup and then keep the sugar syrup on very low heat. (Syrup should be warm, when you place fried undu walalu in the syrup)

Making The Batter:
    Soak the washed urad dal for overnight.
    Drain the water and grind it until you get a smooth paste. (I’m grinding the urad dal with 2 – 3 tablespoons of water.)
    Now in a medium size bowl, place the undu paste, rice flour and salt and mix it. First add 1cup of coconut milk to it and mix well. Then add coconut milk little by little and make the batter that is not is not too thick and also not too thin & also no lumps.
    Heat the oil in a large frying pan in medium heat.
    When the oil is ready, fill an icing bag or a piece of a cloth which have a small hole which has a diameter of 6-8mm, with the batter. And now slowly squeeze out the batter randomly in coiled circle in to the heated oil.
    You can deep fry 3 – 4 coils at a time.
    When you get a nice golden brown on both sides, drain the oil and place the fried coils in the warm sugar syrup.
    After 5 – 6 minutes take out the coils (pani walalu) from the sugar syrup, and put the next set.

Finally place all pani walalu in a saucepan or container and pour the sugar syrup into that, and keep it for a day & serve.

NOTE:
    1. if you use treacle, first heat the treacle and make it bit thicker before use it. Then use it warmly just like the sugar syrup.
    2. If you want to get brown sugar syrup, place the sugar and ½ cup water in a saucepan and heat it till you get the caramelize sugar. When you get it just pour 2 – 3 cups boiling water and stir it again till you get thick syrup. Be careful when you add boiling water, because the steam can harm your hand.
    3. You can also make it brown by adding 2-3 tablespoons of juggry (Hakuru) to the sryrup.
    4. When you are squeeze out the batter from the icing bag just free your hand and do it. I sometimes on the first try you won’t get the shape, but don’t give up.
    5. If you like you can eat just after you made without it for a day with sugar syrup, but then you won’t be able to get the really taste of pani walalu.
    6. Some time you need to make more sugar syrup.
    7. I normally store pani walalu in 2 – 3 bottles with sugar syrup and turn the bottle upside down in every two hours

ENJOY!!!:D

11.jpg

Zant, ROYAL-WARRIOR, Trobon and 5 others like this.